Saturday, February 20, 2010

Tramp Art

We recently had a new addition to our shop. I just found out today what this type of art is and I found it very interesting to pass on......


Tramp Art: "During the period between 1870-1930 a relatively little-known but widespread form of folk art blossomed in America. It was called Tramp Art. Made of wooden cigar boxes or produce crates, these chip-carved and layered pieces were fashioned into frames, jewelry boxes, sewing caddies, and even furniture.

Though the term Tramp Art implies that they were created by hobos, they are believed, in fact, to have been created primarily by skilled but itinerant German or Scandinavian immigrants who traveled the country selling or trading their wares.

Tramp Art shares its vocabulary with quilts. Both are made from salvaged materials, and cut into patterns of primarily geometric shapes pieced together, and layered to create utilitarian objects. Both traditions could be done in the company of others with the “how-to” passed on orally."

The boxes above are made from tongue depressors and popcicle sticks. This is a form of Tramp Art.

2 comments:

  1. I remember my grandfather telling me the story of tramp art when I brought home a yard sale wood frame one time.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew this! How interesting. I must ask my 86 year old mother if she has heard of tramp art. She knows alot about antiques & such.

    Thanks for visiting my norwegian cuties blog! My husband says it's lucky those young men don't live here or I'd be their stalker!!hehe.

    ReplyDelete